Hello, and welcome to the Season 1, Episode 2 of the Bones & Bobbins Podcast!
If you’re looking for this episode’s show notes, options for listening, and ways to connect with us, you’re in the right place. Welcome, creepy, vintage-y friends!
The Bones & Bobbins Podcast, Season 1, Episode 2: Deadly Colors
S01E02: Scheele’s Green (Arsenic Green), Cadmium Red, and the Radium Girls.
In this episode, Haley and Natali talk colors that can kill and explore the popularity and grim fate of the glamorous, literally luminous Radium Girls.
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!
Listen on YouTube:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
Sheele’s Green and Paris Green:
- Fashion Victims: The Dangers of Dress Past and Present, by Alison Matthews David: https://amzn.to/2YLXYtx
- What Sheele’s Green Looked Like: These Dresses Could–And Did–Literally Kill: https://bust.com/style/195600-when-good-dresses-kill.html
- Arcenic vs. cyanide: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-arsenic-and-cyanide
- The History of Green Dye Is a History of Death, by Jennifer Wright: https://www.racked.com/2017/3/17/14914840/green-dye-history-death
- Scheele’s Green Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheele%27s_Green
- Scheele’s Green, the Color of Fake Foliage and Death: https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2018/05/02/scheeles-green-the-color-of-fake-foliage-and-death/
- Paris Green wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_green
- What Paris Green Looked Like: https://www.thetweedytraveler.com/post/paris-green
- The Arsenic Waltz cartoon from Punch: https://punch.photoshelter.com/image/I0000z2ZBGfpA.f0
- Cadmium Pigments Wikipedia:
- Toxicological Profile for Cadmium https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK158834/
- NY Times Article https://www.nytimes.com/1981/05/17/us/paint-use-is-linked-to-artist-s-cancer.html
- Artnet News Article https://news.artnet.com/art-world/ban-on-cadmium-pigments-could-change-art-forever-113493?gclid=Cj0KCQjwzZj2BRDVARIsABs3l9IvY2pgBKTkNOFUdAwFi6CAxF_hNAzJzcgPZla6-B8MHD1RIpz1ZmsaAmU4EALw_wcB
- Wired: The Radium Girls: https://www.wired.com/2011/03/the-radium-girls/
- Wired: Life in the Dark: https://www.wired.com/2011/03/life-in-the-undark/
- Wired: A Dazzle in the Bones: https://www.wired.com/2011/03/a-dazzle-in-the-bones/ (contains legal case info)
- The Forgotten Story of the Radium Girls, Whose Deaths Saved Thousands of Worker’s Lives: https://www.buzzfeed.com/authorkatemoore/the-light-that-does-not-lie (contains legal case info)
- Radium Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium
- Live Science Article https://www.livescience.com/39623-facts-about-radium.html
- Encyclopedia Britannica https://www.britannica.com/science/radium
- The Messed Up Truth About Radium Girls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPe81XKS30M
- The Atlantic Article https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/03/radium-girls-kate-moore/515685/
The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America’s Shining Women