Hello, and welcome to the Season 1, Episode 4 of the Bones & Bobbins Podcast!
The Bones & Bobbins Podcast, Season 1, Episode 4: It Has Pockets!
S01E04: Victorian Chatelaines and the History of Pockets in Women’s Clothing. In season 1, episode 04 of the Bones & Bobbins podcast, Natali explores the somewhat sinister and extremely infuriating history of pockets in women’s garments, then Haley swoops in with the Victorian chatelaine, which, honestly, might be even better than having actual pockets. Of course, our listeners will be relieved to know that enterprising women had no trouble finding ways to harbor weapons in both.
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!
Feeling extra creepy?
The very first episode of our Patreon-only off-week podcast will be released on Friday, June 12th! If you want accessess to Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop 01: Historic but Unsettling Antique Sewing Kits, there’s only one way to make that happen. Just mind the cats when you open the door, okay?
Listen on YouTube:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
- Definition of Chatelaine: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chatelaine
- Antique chatelaine attachments: https://www.collectorsweekly.com/accessories/chatelaines/auctions?sort=mostWatched
- This Victorian Life: Accessories: http://www.thisvictorianlife.com/accessories.html
- The Killer Mobile Device for Victorian Women: https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/the-killer-mobile-device-for-victorian-women/
History of women’s pockets
- Verve Article: The Bewildering and Sexist History of Women’s Pockets: https://medium.com/verve-up/the-bewildering-and-sexist-history-of-womens-pockets-1edf3a98117
- The Politics of Pockets by Chelsea Summer: https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2016/9/19/12865560/politics-of-pockets-suffragettes-women
- Victoria and Albert Museum: A History of Pockets: http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/a/history-of-pockets/
- The Pocket: A Hidden History of Women’s Lives, 1660–1900: https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Hidden-History-Womens-1660-1900/dp/0300253745/