Hello, and welcome to the Season 1, Episode 08 of the Bones & Bobbins Podcast!
The Bones & Bobbins Podcast, Season 1, Episode 08: If It Moves, Run!
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!
Listen on YouTube:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
- The History of Mannequins: From King Tut’s Tomb to Modern Day: https://blog.mannequinmadness.com/2016/05/curious-history-mannequins-check-smithsonian-article/
- Hopes and Fears Blog article on Complete History of Mannequins: http://www.hopesandfears.com/hopes/city/fashion/213389-history-of-mannequins
- The Mechanical Art & Design Museum in Stratford-Upon-Avon in England: History of Automata: https://themadmuseum.co.uk/history-of-automata
- Ctesibios Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ctesibius#Inventions
- Zytglogge Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zytglogge
- Jacques de Vaucanson Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_de_Vaucanson
- The draughtsman in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZiH7oF3OMM
- Source and images for The Writer: https://mymodernmet.com/jaquet-droz-automata/
- Additional automatons of note: http://www.openculture.com/2017/03/automatons-in-action.html
- Even more additional automatons of note: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/527319/7-amazing-automatons-you-can-see-action
Mechanical Marvels: Clockwork Dreams:
- Source: BBC Documentary: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0229pbp
- Source: Legal Watching on Amazon for we Americans: https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Marvels-Clockwork-Not-Specified/dp/B017ORTUDO
- Smithsonian Article- Morphing Mannequin Could Transform Fashion Industry: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/this-morphing-mannequin-could-transform-fashion-industry-180958240/