Hello, and welcome to Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop, the Bones & Bobbins Patreon-only mini-episode!
Patreon Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop 09: Death by Botanical and Metallic Misadventure
1. Listen, just don’t put lead on your face. Or ammonia. Or bugs. Or belladonna. (The jury is still out on opium.)
2. Please don’t contract tuberculosis just to impress a man. He’s not worth it, and you’re only going to look hot for, like, 3 seconds.
3. If you’re going to paint blue veins on your body with indigo, at least be good at it.Beauty comes with a price, but let’s not make it your life, okay?
Curiosity Shop Show Notes:
Links to research materials:
- A Victorian Lady’s Guide to Fashion and Beauty: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37919365-a-victorian-lady-s-guide-to-fashion-and-beauty
- This advice column from Victorian England shows how women poisoned themselves in the name of beauty: https://www.businessinsider.com/this-advice-column-from-victorian-england-shows-how-women-poisoned-themselves-in-the-name-of-beauty-2016-10
- The Poisonous Beauty Advice Columns of Victorian England: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-poisonous-beauty-advice-columns-of-victorian-england
- The Most Dangerous Beauty Through the Ages: https://www.thecut.com/2013/12/most-dangerous-beauty-through-the-ages.html
- Irresistible Eyes: http://thequackdoctor.com/index.php/the-most-uncanny-look/
- Deadly & Disgusting Victorian Beauty Trends: https://andreacefalo.com/2016/01/28/5-more-deadly-and-disgusting-victorian-beauty-trends/
- The Ugly Girl Papers or Hints For The Toilet: https://archive.org/details/uglygirlpapersor00powerich
Further Patreon Reading:
- Wicked Plants: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6106482-wicked-plants
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!