Hello, and welcome to the Season 1, Episode 13 of the Bones & Bobbins Podcast!
The Bones & Bobbins Podcast, Season 1, Episode 13: When Witches Were Waltzing
As we descend into this year’s Spooky Season, we would just like to say that things maybe wouldn’t have been so messy with this Samhain/Halloween stuff if Constantine had properly hydrated. But, nobody asked us. So, instead, we’ll take you on a trip through some abridged pagan history, Haley will walk you through the sparkly treasures atop her witchcraft altar (and tell you how to set up your own), and Natali will bring in the bells, harvest husks, and candles to meet all of your witchcraft crafting needs!
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!
Listen on YouTube:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
- Wicca Living Article: https://wiccaliving.com/wiccan-bell/
- The Witch’s Bell As An Altar Tool: Calling Spirits & Change: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/starlight/2019/03/the-witchs-bell-as-an-altar-tool-calling-spirits-change/
- Corn Dollies, A Harvest Tradition: https://witchesandpagans.com/pagan-studies-blogs/hob-broom/corn-dollies-a-harvest-tradition.html
- Of Harvest & Hag: The Mabon Corn Dolly: https://nittygrittylife.com/mabon-corn-dolly-history-tutorial/
- National Candle Association: https://candles.org/history/#:~:text=Early%20Origins,reeds%20in%20melted%20animal%20fat.
- Candle Lore & Magic: https://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/477
- Candle Color Meaning in Witchcraft: A Guide for Beginners: https://medium.com/@witchcraft101/candle-color-meaning-in-witchcraft-detail-guide-for-beginners-518ff881becf
Samhain and Halloween
- History Channel: The Haunted History of Halloween: https://amzn.to/3nmza5a (affiliate link)
- Samhain Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain
- Samhain: https://www.history.com/topics/holidays/samhain
- Why We Celebrate Halloween: A Short History: Seeking the hidden roots and symbols of a Celtic harvest festival in the modern day fun (Origins of Modern Festivals for Kids Book 1): https://amzn.to/30AgPYD (affiliate link)
- Origins in Samhain: https://www.brown.edu/Departments/Joukowsky_Institute/courses/13things/7448.html
- What is Samhain? https://time.com/5434659/halloween-pagan-origins-in-samhain/
- DIY Altarcraft: https://hauswitchstore.com/blogs/hauswitch-blog/diy-altarcraft
- Altar tools:
View this post on Instagram
Here is a list of the most common tools on an altar. It does not include everything, just the main items. You do not need altar tools to practice witchcraft and it doesn't have to be expensive! You can easily create many of your own tools. Read previous post for "What Is An Altar?". 🕯
- The Spell Book for New Witches: https://amzn.to/2SuqlYG (affiliate link)
- Haley’s altar in action:
- Haley’s stained glass athame:
- DIY Witch Bell Video: