Hello, and welcome to Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop, the Bones & Bobbins Patreon-only mini-episode!
Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop episodes are available to Patreon patrons at the $5.00 per month level and above!
Patreon Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop 15: Wait. Is That a Dead Bird? Discussing the Not-So-Jolly Tradition of Victorian Christmas Cards
Is it a death threat or a Victorian Christmas card? In this episode, we talk about the weird and wild world of Victorian Christmas Cards and send our warmest (non-flaming) holiday wishes.
Curiosity Shop Show Notes:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
- Why Are There Dead Birds on Victorian Christmas Cards? https://hyperallergic.com/344920/why-are-there-dead-birds-on-victorian-xmas-cards/
- Have a Creepy Little Christmas with These Unsettling Victorian Cards: https://hyperallergic.com/261847/have-a-creepy-little-christmas-with-these-unsettling-victorian-cards/
- Art Matters Podcast: Weird, Dark, and Wonderful Victorian Christmas Cards: https://artuk.org/discover/stories/art-matters-podcast-weird-dark-and-wonderful-victorian-christmas-cards#
- You’re Dead to Me Podcast: Victorian Christmas: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07xl3bm
Further Patreon Reading:
- 57 Creepy Victorian Vintage Christmas Cards: https://www.boredpanda.com/creepy-victorian-vintage-christmas-cards/
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!