Hello, and welcome to the Season 2, Episode 02 of the Bones & Bobbins Podcast!
If you’re looking for this episode’s show notes, options for listening, and ways to connect with us, you’re in the right place. Welcome, creepy, vintage-y friends!
The Bones & Bobbins Podcast, Season 2, Episode 02: Mom, Why Does She Look Like She’s Sleeping? Anatomical Venuses and Medical Curiosities
S02E02: Anatomical Venuses, waxwork models, Gunther von Hagens’ innovations in full body plastination, and the marriage of art and science: Let’s take a moment, shall we, to drop in on a dissectable, completely inexplicably orgasmic wax woman or two? Or maybe you’d prefer a mid-kick soccer player who’s just casually stepped out of his skin? Good news! You can totally see both, because, turns out, science and art play together quite nicely!
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!
Listen on YouTube:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
The Anatomical Venus:
- The Anatomical Venus: Wax, God, Death & The Ecstatic, by the Morbid Anatomy Museum’s founder Joanna Ebenstein: https://www.morbidanatomy.org/books/the-anatomical-venus-book-signed-by-author-joanna-ebenstein
- Exquisite Bodies: Historical Anatomy Models, from the Wellcome Collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nNvjA2eW2k
- Cadavers in Pearls: Meet the Anatomical Venus, by Zoe Williams: https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/may/17/anatomical-venus-anatomy-human-biology-joanna-ebenstein-books
- The History of Life-Sized, Fully Dissectible “Anatomical Venuses,” by Claire Voon: https://hyperallergic.com/296700/the-history-of-life-sized-fully-dissectible-anatomical-venuses/
- Clemente Susini: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clemente_Susini
- La Specola: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Specola
- Sacred Anatomy: Slicing Open Wax Women in the Name of Science and God: https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/sacred-anatomy/
Gunther von Hagens & the Plastinarium
- Van Hagens Plastinarium Site: https://www.vonhagens-plastination.com/
- Bustle Article: https://www.bustle.com/articles/143858-what-is-plastination-this-unusual-technique-preserves-specimens-for-science
- Scribol Article- When Dead Bodies Become Art: https://scribol.com/art-and-design/art/dr-hagens-body-worlds-when-dead-bodies-become-art/?as=799&asv=1
- Official Body Worlds Site: https://bodyworlds.com/
- NPR: https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5637687
- BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-43902524
- The Guardian Article: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/sep/30/dr-death-gunther-von-hagens-macabre-request-put-me-on-show
Nothing to see this time!