Hello, and welcome to the Season 2, Episode 04 of the Bones & Bobbins Podcast!
If you’re looking for this episode’s show notes, options for listening, and ways to connect with us, you’re in the right place. Welcome, creepy, vintage-y friends!
The Bones & Bobbins Podcast, Season 2, Episode 04: Black Crape and Black Widows
S02E04: Mourning attire and practices and black widow murderers: You know, when you think about it, it’s actually kind of unclear which one of these categories is more deadly.
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!
Listen on YouTube:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
Mourning Attire and Timelines:
- A Guide to the Stages of Mourning, from Art of Mourning: https://artofmourning.com/2014/11/24/a-guide-to-the-stages-of-mourning/
- What widows wore: Victorian fashions for mourning: https://youtu.be/PFbyzRkvfOE
- Wearing a 19th-Century Mourning Veil Could Result in — Twist — Death: https://www.racked.com/2018/3/29/17156818/19th-century-mourning-veil
- Manners of Modern Society: Being a Book of Etiquette, by Eliza Cheadle (1872): https://books.google.com/books?id=07iCeuzDTU8C&hl=en
- Death Becomes Her: A Century of Mourning Attire: https://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2014/death-becomes-her
- Victorian Mourning from Sew Historically: http://www.sewhistorically.com/victorian-mourning/
- The History of Mourning Dress and Attire in the West, by Tracey Wallace: https://eterneva.com/resources/mourning-dress
- House of Mourning – Victorian Mourning & Funeral Customs in the 1890s, from Victoriana Magazine: http://www.victoriana.com/VictorianPeriod/mourning.htm
- The Original Black Widow Serial Killer Haunted 19th Century Britain from the History Collection: https://historycollection.com/original-black-widow-mary-ann-cotton-prolific-female-serial-killer-britain/
- Britannica Biography: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Mary-Ann-Cotton
- Huff Post Article: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mary-ann-cotton-englands_b_8339314
- Unseen Letter’s from Mary: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/letters-britains-first-serial-killer-8868493
- The Strange Murders of Tillie Klimek: https://heathermonroe.medium.com/the-strange-murders-of-tillie-klimek-effa70912b5b
- Wikipedia for Tillie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tillie_Klimek
- Chicago Sun Times Article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/11/19/21563154/this-week-in-history-tillie-klimek-chicago-serial-killer
- Widow’s Weeds and Weeping Veils: Mourning Rituals in 19th Century America, by Bernadette Loeffel-Atkins: https://amzn.to/2NvSX4o (affiliate link)
- Honorable Mention Black Widow Leonarda Cianciulli
- BBC Article “Sodium: Getting rid of dirt – and murder victims”: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27257822
- Wikipedia Entry for her: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonarda_Cianciulli