Hello, and welcome to the Season 2, Episode 09 of the Bones & Bobbins Podcast!
If you’re looking for this episode’s show notes, options for listening, and ways to connect with us, you’re in the right place. Welcome, creepy, vintage-y friends!
The Bones & Bobbins Podcast, Season 2, Episode 09: Keep Your Filthy Paws Off Our Silky…Parachutes?
S02E09: Recycled silk parachutes and garments made from escape and evade maps. Honestly, what’s hotter than lingerie made from the very map that helped your hot RAF pilot boyfriend escape the Nazis? Nothing! The romance novel practically writes itself.
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!
Listen on YouTube:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
WWII Escape and Evade Map Garments:
- How Millions of Secret Silk Maps Helped POWs Escape Their Captors in WWII: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-millions-of-secret-silk-maps-helped-pows-escape-their-captors-in-wwii
- WWII escape maps might be the world’s most unique fashion statement: https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2020/12/21/wwii-escape-maps-might-be-the-worlds-most-unique-fashion-statement/
- Christopher Hutton: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Hutton
- The Chic Garments Made from WWII Escape Maps: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/wwii-silk-maps-clothes
- IMW: Underwear: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30115129
- Silk Map Dressing Gown: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30084318
- Object of Intrigue: Dummy Paratroopers of WWII: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/object-of-intrigue-the-dummy-paratroopers-of-wwii
- Technical Textile Overview of Parachute Fabric: https://www.technicaltextile.net/articles/an-overview-of-parachute-fabric-7170
- First Nylon Parachute: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/meet-daredevil-parachutist-who-tested-duponts-first-nylon-parachute-180963527/
- Surprising and Useful Ways The surprising and resourceful ways people caught in the middle of World War II reused US military parachutes: https://www.businessinsider.com/surprising-ways-people-reused-us-military-parachutes-during-wwii-2020-4
- We Are The Mighty: Mighty History- WWII Wedding Dress: https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-history/wedding-dress-ww2-parachute/
- Make Do & Mend: https://beansproutadventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Make-Do-and-Mend.pdf
- The impact of World War II on women’s fashion in the United States and Britain: https://digitalscholarship.unlv.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=&httpsredir=1&article=2391&context=thesesdissertations