Hello, and welcome to Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop, the Bones & Bobbins Patreon-only mini-episode!
Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop episodes are available to Patreon patrons at the $5.00 per month level and above!
Patreon Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop 26: We’re All Mad Here
Mercury poisoning, mad hatters, and the actual inspiration for the character we all know today.
Curiosity Shop Show Notes:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
History of Mad Hatters:
- Where did the phrase “mad as a hatter” come from? https://www.history.com/news/where-did-the-phrase-mad-as-a-hatter-come-from
- What is Mad Hatter’s Disease? https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/mad-hatters-disease
- NIOSH Backgrounder: Alice’s Mad Hatter & Work-Related Illness: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/updates/upd-03-04-10.html
Mad Hatter Literary Character:
- Tea, Toast, and Travel: Why was the Hatter Mad? http://www.teatoastandtravel.com/tag/theophilus-carter/
- Curiouser and Curiouser: The Evolution of Wonderland: https://www.carleton.edu/departments/ENGL/Alice/FootHatter.html
- The Curious Cast of Wonderland: https://www.lib.umd.edu/alice150/alice-in-wonderland/wonderland-characters
- Wikipedia entry for Hatter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatter_(Alice%27s_Adventures_in_Wonderland)
Further Patreon Reading:
- Nothing this time!
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!