Hello, and welcome to the Season 2, Episode 16 of the Bones & Bobbins Podcast!
If you’re looking for this episode’s show notes, options for listening, and ways to connect with us, you’re in the right place. Welcome, creepy, vintage-y friends!
The Bones & Bobbins Podcast, Season 2, Episode 16: Fashion and Function
S02E16: Sewing spacesuits and the science lab at the Eiffel Tower. Did you know that the Eiffel Tower doubles as art and science? It’s true! Also true: sewing a space suit is hard, and then your work gets shredded.
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!
Listen on YouTube:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
NASA Spacesuit Sewing:
- The women who sewed the suits for the space race: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20191219-the-women-who-sewed-the-suits-for-the-space-race
- How to Sew a Spacesuit: https://gizmodo.com/how-to-sew-a-spacesuit-5788241
- ILC Dover Spacesuits: https://www.ilcdover.com/aerospace/spacesuits/
- Spacesuit: Fashioning Apollo, by Nicholas de Monchau: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10530950-spacesuit
Eiffel Tower Science Lab:
- List of 72 Scientist Names: https://www.toureiffel.paris/en/the-monument/eiffel-tower-and-science
- Wikipedia Article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiffel_Tower
- Official Site of the Eiffel Tower: https://www.toureiffel.paris/en/the-monument
- Science News for Students article: https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/how-science-saved-eiffel-tower
- The Tallest Tower: Eiffel and the Belle Epoque by Joseph Harriss: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3252412-the-tallest-tower
- Scientific American Article from 1904: https://archive.org/details/scientific-american-1904-03-19/scientific-american-v90-n12-1904-03-19?view=theater
- The Physics Behind the Design of the Eiffel Tower: https://aapt.scitation.org/doi/10.1119/1.1417530
- Delightfully arty 1962 tour of the Eiffel by his Grandson:
- Virtual Tour of the Eiffel Tower: https://artsandculture.google.com/streetview/tour-eiffel/sAHt5Gv4YGH84Q?sv_lng=2.294758519443887&sv_lat=48.85821778334351&sv_h=77&sv_p=0&sv_pid=K-zqf3wT2zlWLXhztVc_CQ&sv_z=1.0000000000000002