Hello, and welcome to Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop, the Bones & Bobbins Patreon-only mini-episode!
Patreon Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop 31: You Have the Right to Remain Spooky
Has your home been declared legally haunted? According to the state of New York, it’s actually possible! (Just make sure you don’t try it in a haunted courthouse!)
Curiosity Shop Show Notes:
Links to research materials:
Haunted Legal Proceedings:
- The “Haunted House” Case, Derry Journal, Friday 20 January 1905: https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/BL/0001123/19050120/104/0007?browse=False
- The New York House Declared “Legally Haunted” Is for Sale: https://www.themarysue.com/legally-haunted-house-for-sale/
- ‘Legally’ Haunted New York Manor is for Sale Again: https://nypost.com/2019/09/19/legally-haunted-new-york-manor-is-for-sale-again/
- This Haunted, Abandoned Village in Scotland Can be Yours for $173,000: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/647969/abandoned-haunted-scottish-village-for-sale
- The Old Village of Lawers: https://goldcrestlfg.com/properties/the-old-village-of-lawers/
- American Bar Association Journal Gallery of 10 Haunted Courthouses: https://www.abajournal.com/gallery/haunted_courthouses/1245
- Only In Arkansas Article: https://onlyinark.com/places-and-travel/desha-county-courthouse/
- Baltimore Sun Article: https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-2008-03-23-0803230021-story.html
- National Center for State Courts Article: https://www.ncsc.org/information-and-resources/trending-topics/trending-topics-landing-pg/haunted-halls-of-justice-a-look-at-the-spooktacular-history-of-one-american-courthouse
- NY Ghosts Article: https://nyghosts.com/tweed-courthouse/
Further Patreon Reading:
- Nothing to see this time!
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!