Hello, and welcome to the Season 2, Episode 23 of the Bones & Bobbins Podcast!
If you’re looking for this episode’s show notes, options for listening, and ways to connect with us, you’re in the right place. Welcome, creepy, vintage-y friends!
The Bones & Bobbins Podcast, Season 2, Episode 23: From Mary Sachs to Coco Sucks
S02E23: Mary Sachs, the Merchant Princess of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and Coco Chanel, who was very good at both designing clothes and being a horrifyingly terrible person. Meet Mary Sachs, a single, immigrant woman who bought herself flowers and then built a department store empire that survived two world wars, and Coco Chanel (yes, that one), who is about two thousand percent more problematic and disappointing than we had imagined. Like, seriously, yikes.
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!
Listen on YouTube:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
- Mary Sachs: Merchant Princess, by Barbara Trainin Blank: https://www.sunburypress.com/collections/history/products/barbara-blank-mary-sachs-478-142-198-manual
- The Merchant Princess: https://youtu.be/UTKongMGLE0
- Mary Sachs historical talk: https://youtu.be/qJgtoKRynEM (Fair warning: I think this is a handheld phone recording from a historical society talk. The information is good, but the camera moves quite a bit.)
- A watercolor rendering of her store’s 1960s interior layout: https://digital.hagley.org/2388_20_50a
- Eleanor Le Marie: https://www.aaa.si.edu/collections/eleanor-le-maire-associates-records-9643
- Harvard Business School Publication- Coco Chanel: From Fashion Icon to Nazi Agent: https://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Pages/item.aspx?num=54412
- NY Times Archived Article frm 1/11/1971 https://www.nytimes.com/1971/01/11/archives/chanel-the-couturier-dead-in-paris-chanel-the-fashion-spirit-of-the.html
- Coco Chanel: The Legend and the Life was written by Justine Picardie https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6625991-coco-chanel
- Voguepedia (Archived Version) https://web.archive.org/web/20131030104112/http://www.vogue.com/voguepedia/Chanel
- Sleeping With the Enemy: Coco Chanel, Nazi Agent https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12143439-sleeping-with-the-enemy
- Makeup & History Coco Episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM4RPTmUY0w