Hello, and welcome to the Season 3, Episode 04 of the Bones & Bobbins Podcast!
If you’re looking for this episode’s show notes, options for listening, and ways to connect with us, you’re in the right place. Welcome, creepy, vintage-y friends!
The Bones & Bobbins Podcast, Season 3, Episode 04: Dipping a Skull into Private Clubs, Fraternal Orders, and Secret Societies
S03E04: The Not Terribly Good Club of Great Britain and a fascinating look into the history of fraternities and sororities in the United States.
***Private clubs can be fraught with countless problematic behaviors, but our favorite find turned out to be charming, weird, and so successful that it ceased to exist. Meanwhile, back in the US, we learned that the story of the rise of fraternities is as old as the country itself.
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!
Listen on YouTube:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
- The Wing: https://www.the-wing.com
- Club for Failures: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/78922/club-failures
- The Window on the Street: https://thewindowonthestreet.wordpress.com/about/
- Stephen Pile: https://www.faber.co.uk/author/stephen-pile/
- Book of Heroic Failures: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Heroic_Failures
- Stephen Pile’s books: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/608459.Stephen_Pile
- The British Lawnmower Association: https://www.blmra.co.uk
- 20 Unusual Private Clubs: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/638821/unusual-clubs
- American College Fraternities: A Descriptive Analysis of the Society System in the Colleges of the United States with a Detailed Account of Each Fraternity by WM Raimon Baird 1879 https://archive.org/details/americancollege01bairgoog/page/n7/mode/2up
- A Sociological and Statistical Analysis of Fraternity Men’s Attitudes on Rape and Sexual Assault Cierra Ensign California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo https://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1119&context=socssp
- Berkeley Beacon Article https://berkeleybeacon.com/fraternities-and-colleges-perpetuating-a-culture-of-abuse/#:~:text=Several%20studies%20have%20found%20that,this%20are%20far%20too%20prevalent
- Go read some of Stephen Pile’s books! They’re linked above.