Hello, and welcome to the Season 3, Episode 06 of the Bones & Bobbins Podcast!
The Bones & Bobbins Podcast, Season 3, Episode 06: When the Moon Hits Your Eye, Just Go With It
Did you know that a blue moon is actually a thing, and that blood moons really do exist? Connect with your inner (North American) moon witch and prepare to be both baffled and delighted by the names we’ve decided to call each month’s full moon. Then, switch to your front-facing camera and examine the science and the spooky behind the effects that the moon might have on your–and everyone else’s–body.
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!
Listen on YouTube:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
Stories Behind the Full Moon Names (Blood moon, blue moon):
- Full Moon Names: https://www.almanac.com/astronomy/moon/full
- Full Moon Names, Explained: https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/2019/02/full-moon-names-explained
- Full Moon Names for 2022: https://www.space.com/39238-full-moon-names.html
- Why Do We Have Special Names for Full Moons: https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics/what-are-names-full-moons-throughout-year
- Traditional Full Moon Names: https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/moon/full-moon-names.html
- Why Native Americans Named the Moons: https://www.easterntrail.org/why-native-americans-named-the-moons/
Moon v. Human:
- US Gov- Water and the Human Body https://www.usgs.gov/special-topics/water-science-school/science/water-you-water-and-human-body#:~:text=Up%20to%2060%25%20of%20the,bones%20are%20watery%3A%2031%25.
- The Jerusalem Post- Moon Phases: How do Moon phases affect human behavior body and mind- https://www.jpost.com/science/article-689520
- Midieval Disability Glossery https://medievaldisabilityglossary.hcommons.org/lunacy/
- Scientific America- Lunacy and the Full Moon: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/lunacy-and-the-full-moon/
- Royal Museums of Greenwich: https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics/can-moon-affect-our-health-behaviour
- National LIbrary of Medicine: Evidence that the lunar cycle influences human sleep: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23891110/
- National Library of Medicine: Human sleep and cortical reactivity are influenced by the lunar phase: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24937276/
- National Library of Medicine: Association between lunar phase and sleep characteristics: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25266502/
- National Library of Medicine: Moonstruck sleep: synchronization of human sleep with the moon cycle under field conditions: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33571126/
- National Library of Medicine: A study on the physical fitness index, heart rate and blood pressure in different phases of lunar month on male human subjects https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23161271/
- National Library of Medicine: Does the moon cycle affect the physical endurance, balance, reaction-time, mood state and well-being in trained athletes? https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31663310/
- National Library of Medicine: Bipolar mood cycles associated with lunar entertainment of a circadian rhythm. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30104658/
- Nothing to see this time!