Hello, and welcome to the Season 3, Episode 10 of the Bones & Bobbins Podcast!
If you’re looking for this episode’s show notes, options for listening, and ways to connect with us, you’re in the right place. Welcome, creepy, vintage-y friends!
The Bones & Bobbins Podcast, Season 3, Episode 10: The Tower in the Woods: The Brattleboro Retreat Tower
S03E10: The Brattleboro Retreat Tower, a Victorian structure tucked away amongst the trees and boulders on a hiking trail in Vermont.
Haley goes solo this week with a tour of one of her new hometown’s most notorious haunts, the Brattleboro Retreat tower. Note: The Brattleboro Retreat was formerly known as the Vermont Asylum for the Insane, and some historical references use that name.
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!
Listen on YouTube:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
The Retreat Tower:
- Tour of the Retreat Tower from the Friends of the Brattleboro Retreat Tower: https://www.facebook.com/Friends-of-the-Brattleboro-Retreat-Tower-183362945783161/videos/2259841374303729
- Brattleboro Retreat Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brattleboro_Retreat
- Brattleboro Retreat Tower: Historic Masonry: https://www.masonrymagazine.com/blog/2021/04/21/brattleboro-retreat-tower-historic-masonry/
- Atlas Obscura: Retreat Tower: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/retreat-tower?gclid=Cj0KCQjw54iXBhCXARIsADWpsG_-sPA6ZnXAbFsG-TFXVvl8T8EMKi649M9hEZzpnwwV4Cj7xkYS3soaAnSREALw_wcB
- Stone workers chip in to maintain historic tower: https://www.reformer.com/local-news/stone-workers-chip-in-to-maintain-historic-tower/article_22805bad-8dc6-53b5-a497-8ec7cf8f0208.html
- National Register of Historic Places: https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/NRHP/84003478_text
- Tower Built by Patients of Vermont Asylum in 1887: https://brandyellen.com/tower-built-by-patients-of-vermont-asylum-in-1887/
- Brattleboro Revormer, Feb 20, 1981 (requires subscription): https://www.newspapers.com/image/548105760/
- A Haunted Tower in the Woods: https://ournewenglandlegends.com/podcast-150-a-haunted-tower-in-the-woods/
- The Story Behind This Haunted Asylum In Vermont Is Truly Creepy: https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/vermont/haunted-asylum-vt/
- Nothing to see this time!