Hello, and welcome to the Season 3, Episode 11 of the Bones & Bobbins Podcast!
The Bones & Bobbins Podcast, Season 3, Episode 11: Our Bodies, Our Clothes?
***Ah, yes. The perennial drama of possessing cleavage and/or legs.
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!
Listen on YouTube:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
History of Boobs in Fashion:
- There Was Never a Time When Western Society Wasn’t Weird About Cleavage: https://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/designers/a38943078/fashion-breasts-boobs/
- History of cleavage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_cleavage
- How fashion has freed the nipple throughout history: https://www.ellecanada.com/fashion/trends/how-fashion-has-freed-the-nipple-throughout-history
- The History of the Nipple: Revealing Paintings from the 17th and 18th Centuries: https://medium.com/illumination/the-history-of-the-nipple-revealing-paintings-from-the-17th-and-18th-centuries-360a36c609db
- Agnès Sorel and the History of Toplessness: https://theculturetrip.com/europe/france/articles/agnes-sorel-and-the-history-of-toplessness/
- The Untold Story of a Legendarily Topless Mistress Who Saved France: https://www.vice.com/en/article/ne5xaw/agnes-sorel-topless-mistress-france-history-france
- Free the Nipple, says History: https://www.messynessychic.com/2019/05/17/free-the-nipple-says-history/
- Naked Truth: A Look Back at the Greatest Breasts in Fashion History: https://www.eonline.com/news/666973/naked-truth-a-look-back-at-the-greatest-breasts-in-fashion-history
- The Nipple’s Place In Fashion History: https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/braless-fashion-visible-nipple
History of Women in Pants:
- Court Case of Peltier, Booth, and Brown vs Charter Day School- /https://www.acluofnorthcarolina.org/sites/default/files/2016-02-29_Charter_Day_School_Complaint.pdf
- The Life and Writings of Amelia Bloomer https://books.google.com/books?id=ojI7AQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=amelia+bloomer&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-yJ-AgIjbAhXM44MKHURZDuEQ6AEINDAC%23v=onepage&q=courier&f=false#v=snippet&q=courier&f=false
- Smithsonian Magazine Article on Amelia Bloomer https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/amelia-bloomer-didnt-mean-start-fashion-revolution-her-name-became-synonymous-trousers-180969164/
- FIT Entry on Bloomers https://fashionhistory.fitnyc.edu/bloomers/
- Smithsonian Article on the 19th Century Bicyle Craze https://www.si.edu/stories/19th-century-bicycle-craze
- Women in Pants- The Aftermath of WW 1 https://thevintagetraveler.wordpress.com/2017/08/08/women-in-pants-the-aftermath-of-world-war-i/
- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Article https://www.ajc.com/blog/get-schooled/you-can-wear-slacks-court-thank-kindergarten-teacher/86ehrPHdpY1K19LKLn79SO/
- Lady GaGa Wears Oversized Pantsuit for a Powerful Feminist Statement https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lady-gaga-wears-an-oversized-pantsuit-for-a-powerful-feminist-reason_n_5bc62f76e4b055bc947ae788
- Like Totally 80’s: Units http://www.liketotally80s.com/2015/05/units/
- More on Amelia Bloomer:https://socialwelfare.library.vcu.edu/woman-suffrage/bloomer-amelia/