Hello, and welcome to the Season 3, Episode 16 of the Bones & Bobbins Podcast!
The Bones & Bobbins Podcast, Season 3, Episode 16: Feminism on Wheels
***For Victorian women, bicycles usher in both a newfound freedom and a new wave in practical, flexible fashion: Pants!
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!
Listen on YouTube:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
Victorian Dress Reform:
- Bicycles, Bloomers, and the Vote: Dress Reform: https://blogs.loc.gov/teachers/2019/11/bicycles-bloomers-and-the-vote-dress-reform/
- Rational Dress Society organized in London: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/85307987/rational-dress-society-organized-in/
- The Rational Dress Society and Victorian Dress Reform: https://blog.newspapers.com/the-rational-dress-society-and-victorian-dress-reform/
- Rational Dress Society London Exhibition 1883: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/85312554/rational-dress-society-london/
- Reforming Fashion, 1850-1914: Politics, Health, and Art: https://costume.osu.edu/2000/04/14/reforming-fashion-1850-1914-politics-health-and-art/
- Rational Dress Society: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_Dress_Society
- Victorian Dress Reform: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_dress_reform
History of the Bicycle:
- History com article: https://www.history.com/news/bicycle-history-invention
- Wikipedia Penny Farthing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny-farthing
- Wikipedia History of the Bicycle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_bicycle
- Literary Digest Article: https://books.google.com/books?id=Eqk5AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA548#v=onepage&q&f=false
- The Advertiser Article: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/2324407
- Jewish Women’s Archive article: https://jwa.org/thisweek/jun/25/1894/annie-cohen-kopchovsky