Hello, and welcome to the Season 3, Episode 17 of the Bones & Bobbins Podcast!
The Bones & Bobbins Podcast, Season 3, Episode 17: Indigenous Badassery
S03E17: It’s National Native American Heritage Month, so we’re talking about stone cold badass Madame Marie Dorion, and the many ways in which Native and Indigenous Americans have contributed to medicine and public health, from baby bottles, to pain killers, to early syringes!
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!
Listen on YouTube:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
Madame Marie Dorion:
- Krasnesky Manor for Wayward Cats: general obsession and TREASURE: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100076974185503
- Métis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9tis#M%C3%A9tis_people_in_Canada
- Marie Aioe Dorion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Aioe_Dorion
- Marie Dorion: The Most Badass Woman in Oregon History: https://thatoregonlife.com/2021/09/marie-dorion-oregon-history/
- Marie Dorion: https://www.nps.gov/articles/000/marie-dorion.htm
Native American contributions that highly impacted medicine and public health:
- Parker on the Iroquois by Arthur C. Parker https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1606321.Parker_on_the_Iroquois?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=ZGbBqEE0p0&rank=1
- Technology in America by Alan Marucs and Howard Segal https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/738976.Technology_in_America?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=lXktKmWZj1&rank=1
- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition article: Inflammation and Native American Medicine: the role of botanicals: https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/72/2/339/4729391
- Soma Technology: Native American Inventions That Revolutionaized Medicine: https://www.somatechnology.com/blog/fun-fact-friday/native-american-inventions-that-revolutionized-medicine/
- History Chanel article: https://www.history.com/news/native-american-inventions#section_11
- Forbes Article https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicolefisher/2020/11/29/7-native-american-inventions-that-revolutionized-medicine-and-public-health/?sh=21b840a01e73
- Nothing to see this time!