Hello, and welcome to Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop, the Bones & Bobbins Patreon-only mini-episode!
Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop episodes are available to Patreon patrons at the $5.00 per month level and above!
Patreon Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop 63: Can I eat that? Foraging!
Today, we attempt to answer the age-old question: “Can I eat this?”
The answer: “Um, maybe?”
Link to the episode on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/posts/dispatches-from-83609634
Curiosity Shop Show Notes:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode.
Links to research materials:
- Herbalist’s Primer, by Anna Urbanek: https://www.exaltedfuneral.com/products/herbalists-primer
- Vermont Foraging:
- A field guide to foraging for Vermont mushrooms: https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/life/2022/10/25/vermont-mushroom-foraging-an-essential-guide/69572335007/
- Delicious or dangerous? Beware these Vermont foraging lookalikes: https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/2022/04/13/how-spot-edible-vermont-plants-their-poisonous-twins-foraging/7302202001/
- Weed Witch, by Sophie St. Thomas: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60099212-weed-witch
- Kathryn Solie (aka @persephonespath):
- Foraged Fibers:
- Picture This (plant identification app): https://www.picturethisai.com/
- Whose Land Am I On? https://www.whose.land/en/where-am-i
- WI DNR on Foraging: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/wnrmag/2021/Spring/Forage
- Braiding Sweetgrass: https://paperbacksandfrybread.com/products/braiding-sweetgrass-by-robin-wall-kimmerer-native-american-studies
- Online United States Botanical Garden Lecture with Alexis Nicole: https://youtu.be/lZK24aGL0bQ
- Alexis Nicole Official TikTok https://www.tiktok.com/@alexisnikole?lang=en
- Alexis Nicole Nelson Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_Nikole_Nelson
- Appalaichan Forager https://appalachianforager.com/
- Whitney’s TikTok https://www.tiktok.com/@appalachian_forager?lang=en
- Nothing to see this time!