Hello, and welcome toDispatches from the Curiosity Shop, the Bones & Bobbins Patreon-only mini-episode!
Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop episodes are available to Patreon patrons at the $5.00 per month level and above!
Patreon Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop 01: Historic but Unsettling Antique Sewing Kits
There’s absolutely nothing strange about getting a free sewing kit from a funeral home, right?
Sewing kits have shown up in some very confusing places throughout history, and in this patreon-only mini-episode, you can marvel at what kinds of companies did–and sadly didn’t–produce sewing kits to advertise their products or services.
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!
Curiosity Shop Show Notes:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
- WWI sweetheart souvenirs: https://www.rubylane.com/item/1575091-BLA04681/Antique-WW1-Sweetheart-Souvenir-Sewing-Needle
- 1893 Columbian Exhibition Chicago World’s Fair Victorian Mauchline Ware Needle Case & Darning Egg (Just don’t stay at H. H. Holmes’s World’s Fair Hotel): https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1893-worlds-fair-mauchline-ware-1720918253
- A combination funeral home and life insurance company advertisement sewing kit: https://www.ebay.com/i/362446565289
- Funeral home advertising sewing kit: https://www.ebay.com/i/383506793384
- Yet another funeral home advertising sewing kit: https://www.ebay.com/i/174299863128
- Las Vegas sewing kit (make sure you check for bodies): https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/IsQAAOSwRMhdNk7-/s-l400.jpg
- Oil Dealer Kit: https://www.ebay.com/i/192444462823
- Calvert Whiskey sewing kit (which seems like a horrible idea): https://www.ebay.com/i/233425946385
- Vintage Lydia E. Pinkham’s, Vegetable Compound, Blood Medicine, Sanative Wash, Liver Pills Sewing Kit: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-lydia-pinkmans-blood-medicine-1910839592
- A flapper choking on measuring tape, which is not at all unsettling: https://i.pinimg.com/564x/2a/1c/46/2a1c46b50e447489a212845363e1908d.jpg
- An ominous ivory boot sewing kit, in case you feel especially uncomfortable about animal endangerment, but fashion: https://caseantiques.com/item/lot-658-collection-of-ivory-sewing-notions-25-pcs/
- Bullet-shaped burglary and casualty insurance sewing kit from Baltimore: https://www.rubylane.com/item/398016-7695/US-F-G-Etui-Aluminum-Thread
- 1970s phone-shaped sewing kit from a phone company: https://www.etsy.com/listing/714321928/vintage-1970s-advertising-gte-general
- Doll sewing kits (which is a whole different creepy episode: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/18519976_ten-sets-of-antique-doll-s-sewing-kits-width-of-widest?from=alert
- OH MY GOD VINTAGE DOLL PINCUSHION, I WILL NEVER SLEEP AGAIN: https://www.rubylane.com/item/398016-8479/Vintage-Doll-Pincushion-Satin-Sections-Jointed?search=1