Hello, and welcome to Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop, the Bones & Bobbins Patreon-only mini-episode!
Patreon Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop 19: Paint It Black
Curiosity Shop Show Notes:
Links to research materials:
- Past & Present: The Color Black, by Amy Azzarito: https://www.designsponge.com/2014/04/past-present-when-black-became-hip-black-must-haves.html
- Asian Textile Studies, Natural Black Dyes: http://www.asiantextilestudies.com/black.html
- Exploring Historical Blacks: The Burgundian Black Collaboratory: https://refashioningrenaissance.eu/exploring-historical-blacks-the-burgundian-black-collaboratory/
- Black: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black#Chemistry
- The Evolution of Textile Dyes: History and Development: http://www.keycolour.net/blog/the-evolution-of-textile-dyes-history-and-development/
- Good Ole Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_(gemstone)
- History.Net: http://www.arthistory.net/victorian-jet-jewelry/#:~:text=Jet%20jewelry%20became%20popular%20during,make%20beads%20or%20other%20jewels.
- Burials & Beyond Article: https://burialsandbeyond.com/2019/10/26/whitby-jet-what-why-and-when/
Further Patreon Reading:
- The Secret History of the Color Black: https://artsandculture.google.com/story/the-secret-history-of-the-color-black/fwISZyrkPUt0IA
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!