Hello, and welcome to Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop, the Bones & Bobbins Patreon-only mini-episode!
Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop episodes are available to Patreon patrons at the $5.00 per month level and above!
Patreon Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop 24: Thrifty Before Thrifty Was Cool
In this episode, we learn not to tangle with the women of Earlswood, that love can grow in the darkest of places, and that those apples aren’t real apples.
Curiosity Shop Show Notes:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
- Extending Butter https://www.gettystewart.com/extending-butter-a-war-time-rationing-trick/#:~:text=Extending%20butter%20was%20one%20way,and%20varied%20meals%20during%20WWII.
- British Library Dig for Victory https://www.bl.uk/learning/timeline/item107597.html
Parachutes and Heartstrings:
- Ingenious World War Two Women use German Parachute for Making Underwear: https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/ingenious-word-war-two-women-use-german-parachute-making-underwear.html
- How to Make Underwear from Parachutes: http://erasgone.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-to-make-underwear-from-parachutes.html
- The surprising and resourceful ways people caught in the middle of World War II used US Military parachutes: https://www.businessinsider.com/surprising-ways-people-reused-us-military-parachutes-during-wwii-2020-4#as-war-raged-in-the-philippines-and-on-other-pacific-islands-civilians-realized-that-american-troops-on-the-ground-wanted-souvenirs-7
- Dress, Made of Parachute Silk: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30086632
- What to Wear to a Wartime Wedding: https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/what-to-wear-to-a-wartime-wedding
- Dress, Wedding, Parachute silk, Belsen: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30081821
- Gena Turgel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gena_Turgel
Further Patreon Reading:
- Dylan Hollis on TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@bdylanhollis?lang=en
- From Saving Lives to Keeping up Appearances: Possible Uses for a Second World War Parachute Panel, by Stephanie Richards: https://cpb-eu-w2.wpmucdn.com/blogs.brighton.ac.uk/dist/3/4024/files/2020/03/parachute-FINAL-corrected.pdf
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!