Hello, and welcome to Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop, the Bones & Bobbins Patreon-only mini-episode!
Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop episodes are available to Patreon patrons at the $5.00 per month level and above!
Patreon Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop 39: From One Runway to the Next
The couture uniforms of the women in the Navy WAVES, and the life-saving Paris fashion house that literally went toe-to-toe with the Nazis.
***It was World War II, and anything could happen. Like that one time Mainbocher’s fashion house designed uniforms so good that they were actually used in Navy recruitment, and then Lucien LeLong saved pretty much the entire Paris fashion industry–along with thousands of lives–from the Nazis, but still found time to marry a Russian princess.
Curiosity Shop Show Notes:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
WWII Women’s Uniforms: Making WAVES in the Navy:
- WAVES (Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAVES#Uniforms
- Uniform Identity: https://www.homefrontheroines.com/exhibits/uniform-identity/
- The WAVES of World War II: https://www.womenshistory.org/exhibits/waves-world-war-ii
- WAVES Uniform at the University of Minnesota: https://collection.goldstein.design.umn.edu/proficiowebmodule/JExhibit.aspx?rID=810&db=exhib&dir=GOLDSTEIN%3E%3E%3E%3E%3E%3E&from=ootw
- Waves & Spars – 1940s Uniform Fashion: https://glamourdaze.com/2018/05/waves-spars-1940s-uniform-fashion.html
- Mainbocher: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainbocher
- Naval History and Heritage Command: WAVES: https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collections/artifacts/uniforms-and-personal-equipment/uniforms0/waves.html
- “Military Chic”: WWII WAVES Uniforms: https://hamptonroadsnavalmuseum.blogspot.com/2013/07/military-chic-wwii-waves-uniforms.html?m=1
- To come!
- Nothing to see this time!
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!