Hello, and welcome to Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop, the Bones & Bobbins Patreon-only mini-episode!
Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop episodes are available to Patreon patrons at the $5.00 per month level and above!
Patreon Dispatches from the Curiosity Shop 40: Holiday Mysteries of the Unsolved Variety
A Patreon episode in which we ask “What the hell is the Warminster Thing?” and then discuss the very disquieting case that is the spontaneous combustion of Matilda Rooney.
***Because, honestly, Stonehenge wasn’t quite weird enough already, and we all needed one more thing, smoldering in the backs of our minds, keeping us up at night, right? Obviously.
Curiosity Shop Show Notes:
Here are links to the sources and resources we used while researching this episode:
Links to research materials:
The Warminster Thing:
- When the Warminster ‘Thing” Terrorized a Small English Town: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/638338/warminster-thing-ufo
- ‘Warminster Thing’ Marked in 50th anniversary UFO mural: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-32972518
The Spontaneous Combustion of Matilda Rooney:
- Britannica Article: https://www.britannica.com/story/is-spontaneous-human-combustion-real
- 1889 Therapeutic Gazette: https://www.google.com/books/edition/Therapeutic_Gazette/u1U_AQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=Upon+examining+the+opening+in+the+floor+we+discovered+a+mass+of+cinders+on+the+ground+beneath.Upon+removing+them+we+found+the+skull&pg=PA388&printsec=frontcover
- Mysterywire Article: https://www.mysterywire.com/mysteries/womans-demise-points-to-spontaneous-combustion/
- Nothing to see this time!
Support the show:
If you like what we’re doing, please rate and review us on your podcast platform of choice! Ratings tell the internet gremlins that you like us, which means our podcast will show up in more people’s recommendations!